Tips To Help You To Dominate A Dance Audition
Are you nervous for an upcoming dance audition? Don’t worry we have all been there, we know how nerve racking and stressful an audition can be. Thus we have compiled some great tips for how you can prepare for the audition and execute at the audition.
- Take dance classes regularly before the audition.
- If the choreographer teaching at the audition holds drop in dance classes, it would be a fantastic idea to attend some of these dance classes to gain an advantage on the other dancers auditioning. If you take class from the choreographer before the audition you will be able to get a feel for their teaching style, choreography, teaching speed, execution and class advice. Are you trying to find out when the choreographer is teaching upcoming dance classes? A great place to start is the event postings on The Dance Link.
- It is important to be fit before auditioning as dancing consists of a lot of cardio and full body strength. Try working out a few times a week at least 30 minutes a session consisting of strength training and cardio. If you aren’t sure where to start try these great free workout apps for cardio, strength training and interval training: Zombie run and Sworkit.
- The night before the audition make sure you sleep the required 7-9 hours of sleep your body needs to perform physically and mentally at its potential. If you are having a hard time getting a good night sleep try some of these great tips from Livestrong.
- When you are learning the choreography don’t look at any other dancers other the choreographer. This habit is bad as you could be learning the wrong moves subconsciously if the other dancers don’t have the moves down.
- Remember to emphasize dynamics and hitting based on the choreography and music.
- Listen to the song before you attempt the choreography if you are given the opportunity because this will help familiarize yourself with the tempo and style.
- When you perform the choreography only look at yourself as this will force your body to remember the moves (muscle memory) and will help you add your personal style.
- If you make a mistake don’t ever stop! Keep dancing because the chances are the judges and choreographer didn’t catch the split second that you were off beat.
These tips will give you a great foundation for succeeding in a dance audition. If you have any other tips we would love to hear them in the comments section!